Thursday, July 9, 2009

The Love of a Dog



Today I gave my dog away to a family with 3 children who love dogs. I think this is on of the harder things I have done. This dog has been a real special dog to our family. My kids have all moved on with their lives and he needed more attention than I could give him. With this family he will have lots of attention and love.

His story:
After my son had died and my husband had decided that he no longer wanted to be a part of our lives I moved to Provo. When I arrived with my 2 daughters I found out that one of them was pregnant. My son had come to Provo to go to school. When my daughter had decided to place her daughter for adoption I became very worried about our mental health. We had experienced so much loss and I felt one more may push us over the edge. That is when I thought of getting a dog. I myself being more of a cat person made this a real stretch for me. We went to the pet store and there fell in love with a Dappled Dachshund puppy. We brought him home. The girls felt a little guilty for getting a cog because their brother who had died had always wanted one and never got one. So when it came time to name him they thought of their brothers favorite movie Gladiator and named him Maximus. He ended up being such a special dog. My daughter who was very angry was able to play with him ruff and he loved it and she felt loved. The other would spend hours in bed crying and he would lay by her side and lick her tears and she felt loved. I myself was so grateful for such an intuitive dog.

So today I bid a fond farewell to a dog who has so much love to give and has healed many hearts. And wish him and his new family the same kind of love and happiness. What a special dog.

5 comments:

Laura said...

He was exactly what you all needed. No one could have done a better job!

A new journey begins for both of you.

xoxoxo

Amanda said...

Justin and I had lots of fun playing with Max when we were dating. He and Justin had a love-hate relationship but I think mostly love! We will miss him.

Steph said...

Okay make me cry some more!
I love Max so much and what he did for our family. He will be missed tons but hopefully his new family will love him and play with him as much as we did!

Thanks for taking care of him so long after we moved out! I hope you can now enjoy lots of fun things!

Paige and Family said...

seriously! That made me cry too!! That is SO sweet!I'm glad you took the leap and got him, so he could be there for all of you.

Whitney said...

I miss him so so much. I loved playing with him and showing off all his tricks! Remember when he used to fall asleep in the dryer. So cute! I love that dog!!! I hope he will have fun in his new home.